Sunday, June 17, 2007

Jesus Camp

Yeah, I just watched it recently. It's a documentary about a some fundamental Evangelicals in America that is causing controversial right now as it was presented on live television. What it mostly was, is about children going to Christian church camps and being indoctrinated, being 'warrior for Christ' which critiques say it's equal to Islamic radicals teaching kids to destroy Israel and America's the great Satan.

Well, Jesus camp ain't that bad to that extent, as in they are fundamental, but not radical but of course it has been cut and pasted to show similar to that effect, especially the zeal and he Christian wackiness of the people running the camp.

I think a word of description is needed for my definition of fundamental and radical. I believe Fundamentals are super law-based or very religious individuals. That they believe in right and wrong so sternly that sometimes its almost Pharisee-like. A good example would be this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCODIhAXbQM , the infamous "God-Warrior". :D To see how fundamental they are. Heheh, A fundamental would push their beliefs in your face. But a Radical will kill you for it. So to me, thats where the line stands between a fundie and a Radical. Of course, the Jesus camp people are fundies. And no where in the movie did they ever want to harm people or cause any harm to people.

Hmm, thinking about religious militancy, I think it is important to know, that Christ doesn't call us to be soldiers to fight for him against men. Like during the time of Jesus, the people wanted to make him the King of the Jews, because they believe that he is their awaited Savior from the line of David, that would come and rescue them from the Romans and restore the Kingdom of Israel. Which Jesus had no intention to at that time. And hence they crucified him.

Jesus called for us to go out, preach the Good News, heal the sick, destroy the work of the evil ones, which is casting out demons. Not raise an army, and put those who don't believe to the sword. Like Jesus says, if they don't receive you, dust the dust off your feet, and move on to the next town.

Yeah, back to Jesus camp, Kinda side-tracked. Well, I really disapprove with Jesus Camp. I think the whole thing is pretty messed up lah, just to simply put it.

I think the biggest irk on my shoulder concerning Jesus camp would be the amount of politics their feeding the kids. I mean, their just kids for heaven sake. I don't see why they need to teach kids about global warming, evolution and creationism, and anti-abortionism. I mean, what does this have to do with Jesus?

What happened to teaching kids about Jesus feeding the 5 thousands and calming the storm, Jonah and the whale, David and Goliath, Noah's ark, and all the happy stories of the bible? Instead their being fed the sickness of America! Kids unborn being culled, creationism, George Bush and the rest? I think there is something doctrinally seriously wrong. They seem to be harping on issues that doesn't matter, that does not benefit the believer in anyway whatsoever.

It's really sad that state of issue, that their being too bothered with the things of the World and not the Things of Christ. Teach the kids the Love of Christ, not political issues.

For me, I think I can live my entire life happily totally oblivious as to whether the world was created in 6 days or few billion years, and whether we came from monkeys or from the earth. I personally couldn't care less. I learn both, I think what I like, but it doesn't shake the foundation of my faith one bit, because it's not based on creation, but on redemption. The Finished work of Christ!

No comments: