Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dreaming with God

This isn't so much a devotional unlike some of my previous post, rather more of some of my thoughts over the last month or so. To some extent I feel like finding back my Bill Johnson books, I've been giving so many of them away I've lost track, I only now have one on my shelf. Lol.

But yeah. Dreaming with God. I like what Pastor David Cho says, that dreaming is and can be one of the languages of the Holy Spirit. The imagination isn't bad. But it must be sanctified. But even Larry Randolph says that sometimes lots of nonsense stuff do come out, which I have to admit I'm no different. Hence its important what we fill our minds and hearts with.

But yeah, being a dreamer again. A child tends to lose his ability to dream by the time he reaches 10. Give him a pen and a paper when they are younger and progressively see as time passes. I like this funny story from Bob Mumford, a little kid was drawing huge big circles and big stuff on a paper. And the mom asked "What are you drawing?", the kid says "I'm drawing God", the mom replies "You can't draw God, no one knows how he looks like", and the little kid, so cute, he comments "They'll know when I'm done".

There were many dreamers in the bible. And I believe it is even related to faith. I believe Joseph had a dream, and like so many people who did not succeed, I believe Joseph out of faith in his dream in the pits, being a slave in Pothiphar's house, and even in the dungeons, held on to his dream. I'm not too sure where in the bible, I think there was a verse, where it says, God tests the word, until it comes to pass. And from his faith in the dream and determination to push on with the Lord at his side strengthening him, his life story is our glorious history of saving his family from starvation and establishing a nation.

Even David, prophecied to be King, he definitely dreamed of what it will become. Took him many years, being chased around by the King, further and further away from the throne, with so many times David could have taken the throne and put himself there, but he didn't promote himself. God tested the word in his life, tested his heart, until it came to pass. God finally promoted David.

Dreaming with God. I don't know if I'm dreaming with Him, or simply dreaming by myself. But these last week or so, I've just been sitting down and just dreaming. What goals, dreams, what do I want to see happen in my life in the next 5, 10, 20 and 40 years of my life. I am 23 right now, so that means I would be 28, 33, 43, and 63 respectively.

Proverbs 13:12 - Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life.

A dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Sometimes when we don't dream, we don't really know what we want in life. What goals do we aim for, what desires do we want. I've heard from someone that you shouldn't dream, because you are limiting God. I don't think so, I believe it's good to dream, good to plan, but if God takes you on to another path, just follow him, that's Ok.

God knows the innermost desires of our hearts. Sometimes we might be dreaming wrong, taking on the dreams of someone famous or someone else, but if we put our trust in Him, submit to His plans and purpose for us in our lives, He will always bring us to our destiny.

The thing is that we sometimes see the goal, the shining castle in front of us. When Jesus wants to bring us down the windy road, we in our pragmatic thinking would prefer to take the straightest route, going up and down the mountain, when Jesus is taking us through to the sidepath which is the tunnel through the mountain. I guess the issue is always to be submissive to His voice and inner promptings of the Holy Spirit.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

---

Another thing that has been going tingly in my heart concerning dreaming. Is also living by principles. Principles isn't a law. But it's living out of a thoughtful approach on living life, and it's also living out of the Words which Jesus spoke. Living out of the living word of God.

Recently I've been reading through the beautitudes again and again. Its because I don't understand it, but I do know that my heart is learning. The Beautitudes (Matthew 5-7) carries more understanding and life principles for a person to live a grace given harmonious life.

Matthew 7:26 - But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand.

To have the right foundation to build my dream house upon. Lol. I find so much to think about, so many things to just trying to understand, I am always marvelled when I read stuff from great patriarchs of the world, which I love reading about, both spiritual and financial giants, then I go back and think how small I am in thinking compared to them. Ha Ha.

But I am not alone. I got my best friend Mr. Holy Spirit, my senior partner in all of these, Who has been around longer than the creation of this world.

No comments: